The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has set 140 and above as cut off mark for 2022/23 admissions into universities across the country.
The Registrar of the board, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, disclosed this during a presentation at the 2023 Policy Meeting on Admissions to Tertiary Institutions and awards on Saturday in Abuja.
Oloyede said 100 had been approved as cut-off mark into Polytechnics and Colleges of Education.
He explained that the aforementioned points were the minimum, but that does not mean that institutions must comply with it.
Similarly, Oloyede said the board is contemplating a new policy to allow the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) candidates to write the examinations with their phones and other devices.
He said this proposed policy was based on the rising cost of logistics in taking the UTME nationwide.
According to him, it cost the JAMB over N1.2 billion to equip a Computer Based Test (CBT) centre in Kaduna state, particularly in procuring computers which candidates use to take the examination.
”The policy which falls under the “Bring Your Own Device” may require candidates wishing to take UTME in the future to bring their own devices to the examination hall,” he said.
At the policy meeting, the registrar expressed concern over the craving for university education among candidates to the detriment of polytechnics and colleges of education.
While condemning the wide disparity in admission quotas in the country, he advised aspiring candidates to explore other options within the tertiary education sector for admission. (NAN)