It’s no longer news that Ogbomoso-born Chef, Temitope Adebayo, a.k.a Tope Maggie, has begun a quest to break the Guinness World Record (GWR) for the longest cooking marathon.
He had set a 200-hour cook-a-thon target, which is about eight days. The event, which started on Thursday by 6pm, is being held at Ogbomoso Recreation Club, opposite LAUTECH College of Health Sciences, Isale-General, Ogbomoso, Oyo State.
Tope Maggie is seeking to outdo an Irish chef, Alan Fisher, who owns a restaurant in Japan and currently the Guinness World Records holder in longer cooking hours.
The Internet is already awash with news reports about Tope Maggie’s adventure.
5 Things You should know about Chef Tope:
1. Tope Maggie was born and raised by a prominent I Chef in Ogbomoso, popularly known as Mama Maggie, coined from her name Mama Margaret. She’s reputed to be the first certified caterer in the ancient city of Ogbomoso in Oyo State .
2. He grew up learning culinary skills from his mother and grew up to love the food business.
3. He attended the Federal Polytechnic Ede, Osun State, where he studied Hotel and Hospitality Management. He has worked with different hotels and currently runs a chain of restaurants in Ogbomoso called ‘Tope Maggie’s Kitchen’.
4. He’s currently running a 200-hour Cook-a-thon in order to return the longest cooking hours record formerly held by fellow compatriot Hilda Baci, to Nigeria. Since the beginning of the cooking marathon on Thursday, he has served over 42 different local and continental delicacies, serving over 1,200 people freely in about 38 hours covered so far and still counting at time of this report around 8am on Saturday morning
5. Chef Tope Maggie is married with children.