No fewer than 10 persons were feared killed and 15 others hospitalised following an explosion that rocked the Ibadan metropolis.
Recall that there were a series of reports on Tuesday evening about the explosion, which had caused panic among residents of Ibadan, affected areas surrounding the Bodija axis of the city, with several buildings damaged as a result of the impact.
Among the affected areas were a section of the Governor’s Office, Secretariat, Oyo State House of Assembly, the residence of the former Attorney General and Minister of Justice, Chief Bola Ige, some buildings at Ologuneru, Apete, New Garage, Bashorun, Akobo, Sango and Eleyele.
According to reports, the explosion which occurred at Adeyi Avenue, Bodija Estate, Ibadan, left no fewer than 10 bodies recovered from the site and taken away in ambulances.
As of press time, rescue workers believed that some persons were still trapped under the rubble and efforts were ongoing to rescue them.
A social worker at the University College Hospital (UCH), who did not want his name in print because he had no authority to speak on the matter, told one of our correspondents that the hospital had received no fewer than 15 victims.
“The victims will not be less than 15,” he said.
Glass windows, doors and ceilings were shattered in the affected areas.
Meanwhile, addressing journalists moments after having an onsite inspection of the explosion site, Oyo State Governor, Seyi Makinde stated that the miners had stored explosive devices in the building, which caused the blast.
In a statement posted on his verified X (formerly Twitter) handle, the governor said the state government is providing temporary accommodation for those whose houses were affected as a result of the blast.
“We visited the scene of the explosion that occurred at about 7.44 pm yesterday, 16 January 2024, in Bodija, Ibadan. This unfortunate incident resulted in death and injury to residents in the vicinity and also affected properties. We have already deployed first responders and all relevant agencies within Oyo State to carry out comprehensive search and rescue operations. These operations will continue throughout the night.” the statement partly reads.
He added “Earth-moving equipment, ambulances, emergency lights, and security were deployed to the scene of the incident. The wounded and injured are being treated and moved to public and private hospitals within Ibadan. Medical personnel are on standby at these hospitals to provide all-needed assistance to the injured. We have visited UCH to see some of those injured during the incident.
“In total, we have 77 injured victims so far, most of whom were treated and discharged and 2 fatalities. May their souls rest in peace and may God give their loved ones the fortitude to bear this irreparable loss.
“I have directed that the medical bills of all victims be covered by the government. We will also be providing temporary accommodation for those whose houses were affected and ensuring that they are supported to rebuild their lives.
“Preliminary investigations by the security agencies revealed that illegal miners occupying one of the houses in Bodija had stored explosive devices there which caused the blast. The investigations are ongoing. All those found culpable for this will be brought to book.
“I urge all residents to please call 615 for any emergencies they may be experiencing at this time and to remain calm and stay away from the immediate scene of the incident to allow rescue operations to be carried out without interference.
Governor Seyi Makinde reveals cause of the Explosion in Ibadan pic.twitter.com/OPWSFvyCiq
— Star Potter🇺🇸🇳🇬 (@Star_Potter2) January 17, 2024